Morris County Historical Society History
Preservation of Acorn Hall and the surrounding gardens began in 1971 and continues on an ongoing basis. The Home Garden Club of Morristown works closely with MCHS designing and maintaining Acorn Halls gardens. The Society receives funding from the New Jersey Historic Trust and the Morris County Historic Preservation Trust Commission for on-going preservation needs.
Today, the Morris County Historical Society has an active and growing membership. Board, staff, and volunteers promote the history of Morris County through outreach, partnerships, and operation of its historic house museum.
The Morris County Historical Society (MCHS) was founded in December 1945, by the Lion’s Club of Morristown. Beginning with 56 charter members, the Society initiated regular meetings at the Morristown Morris Township Joint Free Public Library. The MCHS worked by committee collecting artifacts of local history, publishing books and pamphlets, advocating the preservation of Morris County’s historical resources, and sponsoring lectures and walking tours.
Mary Crane Hone presented the Society with Acorn Hall and five acres of surrounding property in 1971. Built in 1853, Acorn Hall was the home of generations of the Crane-Hone family.