Acorn Hall History
Acorn Hall was named for the two-centuries-old red oak (Quercus rubra) formerly standing on its property. It was built for the Schermerhorn family in 1853, and purchased by Augustus and Mary Crane in 1860. It remained in the Crane-Hone family until 1971, when Mary Crane Hone gave the Hall, its contents, and surrounding five acres to the Morris County Historical Society (MCHS).
The Hall and grounds are listed on the New Jersey State Registers of Historic Places and the National Register of Historic Places. In recognition of the role of the Crane and Hone women in both preservation and the women’s suffrage movement, Acorn Hall is part of the NJ Women’s Hertitage Trail. The grounds are connected to the Morris County Park Commission's Patriot’s Path system of trails.
Acorn Hall retains most of its original interior design characteristics and furnishings and serves as an authentic representation of early upper-middle class suburban life in Morris County. Furnished primarily with pieces from the Schermerhorn and Crane-Hone families, and supplemented with significant objects from other prominent Morris County families, the carpeting, wall covering, and decorative paint techniques remain as they were in the nineteenth century. Currently, seven period rooms are interpreted in context and two rooms serve as an exhibition gallery.